I am Skyler

I am Skyler
My Sweet Girl

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Looking Back!






My sister giving birth to her son today propelled me into the past.  I have stepped back in time to the day my Sky entered the world. The intense rush of emotions that flood your body all at once can never be forgotten.
Hours of brutal labor and pain does not take away the treasure of that first glance into the eyes of your child.







Time holds still for those first moments and nothing can burst the bubble your floating in, the surreal rawness of total vulnerability. 







How has today come so fast and that moment been so easily forgotten? I am grateful for today when I have been able to reflect back and linger in the past.

Being the oldest of three and the last to have children, the news of not being able to have children hit me hard. I remember this phrase:
"How many times Lord have you heard me cry out and you have gave me strength" by Plumb

The news was obviously inaccurate since several years later I was pregnant, but only after redirecting my life to focus not on my desire but setting aside my so-called plan and walk in faith, was the possibility a possibility.

Those moments of deep sadness and searching changed the way I received the news I was pregnant. In awe struck wonder I praised God for a chance to try again.  He granted that prayer 9 month later with a beautiful baby girl.


 
The month of November reminds us to be thankful in ALL things; the barren womb, the fertile ground, the easy traveled road or the bumpy path, the empty account, the full pantry, the old, the new and all that lies in between. The child that thinks abstractly and the one that made it to heaven first, the man that I call dad and the family that calls me beloved. The hand-me downs, the left overs, the smirks, the frowns and the genuine smiles. Thanksgiving in all shapes, sizes, places and faces be blessed this Thanksgiving Season!



No comments:

Post a Comment