I am Skyler

I am Skyler
My Sweet Girl

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Happy Cry!

 


My daughter is a child, I am told, that has to learn emotions from a chart!
 A child that practices changing her tone of voice to learn how to express herself better. 
So......when she asked me what a Happy Cry was I paused and thought here is a teachable moment. 
We were eating dinner on a special Mommy and me date night and looking into those big blue eyes, I had a flash back of sitting in the back of my car bringing her home from the hospital.  I brushed my fingers through her hair and I said "oh I remember the day I brought you home from the hospital" and a tear ran down my face.  
Her response "Mom why are you crying", I said "it's a Happy Cry".  
"What is a happy cry?' she asked me? 

"A happy cry is when you are so joyful, so happy in a moment that your emotions take over and you start to cry". She is silent and very still, I can see the wheels turning in her head, then she says "I want to happy cry!"  

She says "ok here I go I am going to happy cry" then nothing happens and she repeats a couple times and she says "I can't do it". 

"Sweetheart" I say, "it is not something you do it is something you FEEL  And I hope you have tons and tons of those moments in your life." 


A week later we are laying in her bed and she starts kissing me and saying "mommy I loooove you" then would pause and stare at me and say it again. Strange behavior from my daughter especially and I said "what are you doing silly goose?" She said "I want you to happy cry again". I could not believe the impact the happy cry had made on her and how she wanted to duplicate the moment. 
 It was delightful to sense her sweet nature and know that she does NOT need a chart to learn feelings or expressions but people in her life that had feelings and showed real emotions with true expressions.
 A job I COULD do!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment