I am Skyler

I am Skyler
My Sweet Girl

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sibling Passivity



Is he sitting there non responsive because she (being his sister) is always screaming or because he is a quiet & content child?  Does he look away from her when she is aggressive because he is scared or sad? Does he hide in quiet corners away from the darting arrows of her tempted responses because he is mad? Does he love her no matter what she has done and is capable of doing? How does my inappropriate responses affect his image of me as his caretaker? How does a sibling navigate through the storms of his life without making waves? 


My daily search is, for ways to help him have a "NORMAL" childhood, dashing in to keep him safe from the contagious aggression that plagues his sister. He has a sensitive spirit that is being molded and I wander into deep thought about the way he is impacted and how does the world look from behind those big blue eyes.


 
My repeated fear is my unconscious neglect of his emotional needs as I try to orchestrate the environment so my daughter is thriving. The balance of time is tilted in the favor of the special needs child, so the sibling gets left behind which leaves scars of a different kind. The price gets paid, but who pays it? At the end of my race will I look back and find regrets leaning toward his soul or will I be content with the price I paid for the loves of my life? I must continue to look toward his direction to search for his non spoken needs and be there for that silent cry of attention.  My open heart bleeds out prayers that his passivity toward her be out of LOVE for her needs and not a way of coping. May he find JOY in the midst of daily chaos. May he find his own light to be a beckon beyond the darkness of his life behind closed doors. 


   Kendyl you have a brilliant zest for life and a vibrant, easy going, fun loving personality that
lights up my every day!!! 


  I love you Son. Thank you for loving Skyler and being a brother that protects and cherishes her.  


No comments:

Post a Comment